The official residence of the commandant of the Imperial Finnish Cadet School was completed in 1863. The building was designed by Ernst Bernhard Lohrmann, from the superintendent's office. The red brick building mainly represents neo-Gothic style. The first director to move into the building was Major General Edvard Gustaf af Forselles. Three commandants of the Cadet School occupied the building. Edvard Gustaf af Forselles was the commandant from 1863-1871 and after him Lieutenant General Frithiof Alfred Neovius from 1871-1885. The last owner of the house was Lieutenant General Carl Enckell in 1885-1903.
The Cadet School was abolished in 1903, and the director's apartment was converted into the Russian regiment's headquarters and officers' club. The building functioned from the 1920s until 2003 as Officers' Club and then as a Garrison Club.
Today, the building is owned by the city of Hamina.
The building was renovated in the 1980s. The plans were prepared by Timo and Tuomo Suomalainen Architects. The goal was to restore the building's original appearance, and the design work was carried out under the guidance of the Finnish Museum Agency. The restoration and repair work dates from 1988-1993, and the practical work was carried out by the Hamina correctional camp operating under the Ministry of Justice.
© 2023 haminanmuseokatu.fi. All rights reserved.