The ceremonial and administrative building of the Cadet School was located on this site, which was completed in 1875. The building was completed in place of the old Cadet School's administration building. The building housed a library, artillery museum, emergency room, archive, and living quarters for the cadet company commander, class inspector, adjutant, and judicial officer. The building had a magnificent ballroom.
Later, the building served as the headquarters and venue for festivities of the Reserve Officer School. The Hamina Soldiers’ Home was also located there. The building was damaged by Soviet bombing during the Winter War in 1940 and was demolished after the war. The remaining bricks were used to build a new Soldiers’ Home in 1948 at Kadettikoulukatu 8. The present building has housed garrison canteen, apartments, cinema, teaching auditorium, sauna and Soldiers’ Home.
Hamina soldiers’ home has functioned in the building that was destroyed in the winter war, and in the current building built on the site of the old building.
© 2023 haminanmuseokatu.fi. All rights reserved.